If you love cars… or simply like serving people… or would welcome the challenge of managing a demanding but lucrative business, then an automotive franchise might be the right choice. Think of the advantages that an automotive business offers:
- Staying power – cars are not a trend, but a necessity. Unlike food, fashion or entertainment fads, cars never go “out of style.”
- Local, loyal customer base – automotive service can’t be outsourced. People like to deal with a local provider clsoe to home or where they work.
- Free advertising – your happy customers are your best marketers, and their word-of-mouth news about your services will bring in more business.
- Enthusiastic employees – most automotive technicians love cars and their work. They choose to be in an automotive service environment, unlike workers who just show up for a paycheck.
- Lot of options – there is a diverse variety of automotive franchises available to fit different lifestyle preferences and investment levels.
That last item has a lot of appeal. For anyone thinking of buying a franchise, the success of your venture depends heavily on choosing the right business best suited to your financial situation and goals. You have to consider your personal interests, stamina, and commitment levels. For instance, do you want to directly interact with your customers? Do you want to be there full-time? Do you want to manage a workforce, or instead be a hands-on provider without any, or maybe just one or two, employees?
Do you want to be at a fixed location everyday, or on the road? Are you interested in automotive technology and will you keep up with the latest developments in the field? And, as with any franchise, can you adhere to established systems and “go by the book” in running your business?
For anyone eager to start their own repair service station, buying a franchise lets you leap frog the learning curve, with all the business systems and services processes in place from the get-go. Many automotive franchises don’t even require any experience in the field – all the training and tools are provided.
Automotive franchises offer a lot of flexibility as far as financing goes. Some require a substantial investment (LubePro’s, AAMCO) because you must secure a location, buy equipment, hire technicians etc. But these also offer the potential for the biggest returns. Rather than working with wrenches everyday, you’ll probably be more of a business manager, focused on marketing, team work, suppliers and revenue growth.
Most likely a large portion of your investment in these automotive franchises will be the mobile van used to deliver services. You’ll also be more personally involved in the business, directly interacting with your customers. Of course, if you’re successful with your initial efforts, you could wind up owning a fleet of mobile service vans, manage a crew and never pick up a tool! These types of mobile automotive services are in big demand and offer tremendous growth potential because of the convenience they offer customers.
And speaking of customers – they are truly the key to the success of your automotive franchise. It is essential that you and your employees deliver high quality service every time. All services and repairs must be precisely executed for customer satisfaction. And courtesy counts! You want your customers to be happy and to recommend your business to friends, family and co-workers.
An automotive franchise is really a “people” business. And one that can offer longevity in your marketplace, ongoing multiple revenue streams, long-term growth, and big profits. Cars could be the driving factor behind a successful future for entrepreneurs looking to own a franchise business.