A few months ago, Franchise Direct decided that we needed to get behind the scenes in the franchise industry. We wanted to give hands-on examples of what running a franchise is really like. Cue Face of Franchising, a new video series that visits franchises, interviews franchisors and staff, scrutinizes the day-to-day running of the business, and provides potential franchisees with entertaining and useful information about how the franchise is operated.
Each series examines a different franchise, and our first series (made of four episodes) is investigating Publik Draft House. This Atlantan gastropub balances a fine menu and cocktails with a fun pub environment – a combination that has seen much success and led the team to share their business model with others in the U.S., particularly in the Southeast region.
The mind behind Publik Draft House, and the 'face of franchising' of this first series, is the passionate and focused Eddie Johnson. The moment he first stepped into the catering industry, working in a fast food joint, he just fell in love with it. Now he is the owner of a gastropub, and in this series he and his staff share details of their franchise such as:
- What a typical day involves – "I like being my own boss!"
- How the food and cocktails are kept popular – "We put what we want on the menu, but we have to listen to our guests to find out what they want too."
- The way the staff are trained and motivated and the customer service is kept good – "Dealing with employees is a great thing, because you kind of play psychology."
- How customers come back time and time again – "You can suck people into what they didn't know they really enjoyed."
- How they can provide you with a franchise package that includes great training, manager manuals and support – "Have we learnt a lot? Yes. Can we teach that? Yes. We are at your disposal, 24 hours a day."
Eddie and his team are keen to spread their franchise across the U.S. Watch this Face of Franchising series (above) and see for yourself the life that Publik Draft House can offer.