What is the secret to the success of sandwich franchises? You can walk into any deli in the country and get a tasty sandwich with fresh ingredients and delicious bread. Of all the thriving food franchise industries, perhaps the enduring success of sandwich surprises is the most remarkable.
Forbes Magazine has delved deeper into America's fascination with sandwich franchises in a new article by Deborah Sweeney. And as the author reminds us, sub franchises continue their rise: Quizno's are making huge strides in Tampa by opening 53 new restaurants and Pret a Manger is even expanding to Paris. She offers 5 reasons for continued expansion of the sandwich sector and her reasons break down like this:
- Affordability: sandwich franchises are generally smaller operations and have a lower overhead
- A Strong Team: this is the essential cooperative link between a franchisee and a franchisor that exists in every thriving franchise system
- Healthy Ingredients: here's a simple truth about America's changing eating habits: they'll take a healthy sub over a fattening cheeseburger. It's a game changer for food franchises.
- Menu innovation: Subway has its $5 dollar sub. Quizno's has its $4 dollar sub. The blunt truth is this: if you give Americans an affordable meal with high quality, they'll eat it up.
- The enduring popularity of the sandwich: to quote 30 Rock's Liz Lemon, as Forbes do, “I believe that all anyone really wants in this life is to sit in peace and eat a sandwich.”
These are Forbes' reasons for why sandwich franchises are so popular and it's hard to disagree. If you have any other ones, please leave them in the comment section below.