Coffee is the second largest commodity consumed in the U.S. On average consumers drink 400 billion cups of coffee every year, and this is only an approximate value! View my top ten fun coffee facts and be informed about what makes the coffee franchise industry as profitable as it is... Coffee is well established as the nation's favorite hot beverage, but did you know about the history of coffee or how many cups of coffee consumers drink on average every year?
1. According to the Brazil Information Center "80% of adults in the U.S. drink coffee on a regular basis, and over half drink coffee every day, at a rate of 18.6 gallons per capita per year"! (2002)
2. The "Boston Tea Party" in 1773 was the historical event that began the phenomenon in coffee drinking in the US. During this time, the heavy tax imposed by the British on American colonies decreased the popularity of tea and increased the popularity of coffee making it the Number 1 beverage in a number of years!
3. Coffee is the most popular beverage in the world, with more than 400 billion cups consumed per year. The U.S. is responsible for consuming 35% of the 400 billion cups consumed every year!
4. Coffee is the second largest commodity in the U.S., with annual sales exceeding $18 billion – 75 percent of the caffeine consumed in the U.S. is from coffee.
5. Total U.S. retail sales (coffee house and cafes) increased "from $3.5 billion in 1998 to $6.9 billion in 2003". (Mintel International, 2004)
6. The Latte originated in Italy; if you asked for a latte in Italy and you were expecting coffee, think again! It’s made entirely of hot milk. Yet if you ask for a café latte you will get the American version of the hot beverage.
7. Coffee drinkers average about 3.1 cups of coffee per day. Currently there are approximately 12,000 coffee shops in the U.S., and that number is expected to increase to 50,000+ by 2010 to meet the ever-growing demand for a cup of Joe.
8. The popular phrase for a cup of coffee- "a cup of Joe"- originated during WWII where popular comic character "G.I. Joe" became synonymous with enlisted army men drinking their favorite cup of coffee!
9. Many consumers consider the espresso to be the strongest coffee. However it only contains 1/3 of the strength of a regular brewed coffee!
10. On average, the "live expectancy of a properly cared for coffee plant is 40 to 50 years, with some plants living as long as 100 years". (Gourmet Coffee Zone) Interesting stuff!